Na

Na

Iraq says U.S. to return 17,000 ancient artifacts looted after invasion

This includes a 3,500-year-old clay tablet bearing part of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

3/8/2021 6:10:00 PM

This includes a 3,500-year-old clay tablet bearing part of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The United States is returning more than 17,000 ancient artifacts looted and smuggled out of Iraq after the U.S. invasion in 2003, including a 3,500-year-old clay tablet bearing part of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Iraq said on Tuesday.

U.S. authorities working to recover the artifacts recently reached an agreement with Baghdad to return items seized from dealers and museums in the United States, the Iraqi culture and foreign ministries said."The U.S. government seized some of the artifacts and sent them to the (Iraqi) embassy. The Gilgamesh tablet, the important one, will be returned to Iraq in the next month after legal procedures are finalised," Culture Minister Hassan Nadhim told Reuters.

PKR MP likens drinking Timah whiskey to 'drinking a Malay woman' Timah manufacturer agrees to consider name change, says Domestic Trade Ministry Timah whiskey manufacturer agrees to consider name, logo change - minister

U.S. authorities seized the Gilgamesh tablet in 2019 after it was smuggled, auctioned and sold to an arts dealer in Oklahoma and displayed at a museum in Washington, D.C., the Department of Justice said. A court ordered its forfeiture last month, it said.

It said that a U.S. antiquities dealer had bought the tablet from a London-based dealer in 2003. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a 3,500-year-old Sumerian tale considered one of the world's first pieces of literature.Nadhim said other artifacts being returned included other tablets inscribed in cuneiform script. headtopics.com

Iraq's ancient heritage has been decimated by conflict, destruction and looting especially since 2003. Thousands of artifacts are still missing.After 2014 Islamic State, which preached an intolerant and extremist interpretation of Islam, raided and wrecked historical sites on what UNESCO called an"industrial" scale, using loot to fund its operations through a smuggling network extending through the Middle East and beyond.

With the help of international agencies, Iraqi authorities have been trying to track down, return and preserve its archaeological relics.(Reporting by Baghdad newsroom and John Davison in Geneva, Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky) Read more: The Star »

Dirty factories: Two Penang food manufacturers shut down for two weeks

BUTTERWORTH: A tofu factory and a shrimp paste manufacturer have been ordered to close down for two weeks due to unhygienic conditions at their factories.

They're thieves too They came, they collect, and they take whatever they want.

17 tahanan Palestin mogok lapar di penjara - Utusan DigitalBantahan terhadap penahanan yang tidak adil oleh Israel

Five localities in Sabah, Sarawak and Kelantan under EMCO from Aug 4-17, says HishamPETALING JAYA: New enhanced movement control order has been placed in five localities in Sabah, Sarawak, and Kelantan.

Kemboja mula vaksin kanak-kanak 12 hingga 17 tahun | Harian MetroPhnom Penh: Kemboja pada Ahad memulakan usaha vaksinasi Covid-19 yang menyasarkan kanak-kanak berusia 12 hingga 17 tahun di Phnom Penh dan tiga wilayah Kandal, Koh Kong dan Preah Sihanouk.

Covid-19: Cases climb above 17,000 again, Selangor highest with 5,836PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia has another 17,105 new cases of Covid-19, the Health Ministry reports on Tuesday (August 3). Kejayaan other issue.....why 'hagar the horrible' and 'calvin n hobbes' now disappear from the paper? You should give some credit to Selangor especially the header. Selangor may top the number but this number has been in decline week by week.

Nadal returns from foot injury needing work before US Open | Malay MailWASHINGTON, Aug 2 — Rafael Nadal returns from a foot injury layoff of nearly two months this week at Washington, trying to rebuild top form ahead of the US Open. The 35-year-old Spanish left-hander, who shares the all-time men’s record of 20 Grand Slam titles with Novak Djokovic and Roger...

Fauci says he expects no new US lockdowns despite surging Delta cases | Malay MailWASHINGTON, Aug 1 —President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci said today he does not expect the United States will return to lockdowns, despite the growing risks of Covid-19 infections posed by the Delta variant. “I don’t think we’re going to see lockdowns,” Fauci,...