Perkasa

Perkasa

Hearing of Guan Eng’s appeal in defamation suit against Perkasa set for Sept 22 | Malay Mail

Hearing of Guan Eng’s appeal in defamation suit against Perkasa set for Sept 22

9/4/2020 10:15:00 AM

Hearing of Guan Eng’s appeal in defamation suit against Perkasa set for Sept 22

PUTRAJAYA, April 9 — The Federal Court has fixed Sept 22 to hear an appeal by former Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng in connection with his defamation lawsuit against Perkasa and two others. Lawyer Adnan Seman, representing Perkasa and its president Ibrahim Datuk Ibrahim Ali, said the...

Thursday, 09 Apr 2020 03:11 PM MYTLim Guan Eng speaks during a news conference in Putrajaya February 6, 2020. ― Picture by Yusof Mat IsaPUTRAJAYA, April 9 — The Federal Court has fixed Sept 22 to hear an appeal by former Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng in connection with his defamation lawsuit against Perkasa and two others.

PM to launch short-term economic recovery plan - Tengku Zafrul Giving MPs positions not a long-term guarantee for Muhyiddin - analysts Putrajaya punishing Penang, cancels RM100m funds for cable car project - CM

Lawyer Adnan Seman, representing Perkasa and its president Ibrahim Datuk Ibrahim Ali, said the date was fixed after the matter came up for case management before deputy registrar Azniza Mohd Ali by way of e-review.Lawyer Americk Singh Sidhu, representing Lim, in a text message, also confirmed the hearing date.

In July last year, the Federal Court granted leave to Lim to appeal against the decision of the appellate court which set aside the decision of a High Court in ordering Perkasa, Ibrahim and former Perkasa information chief Ruslan Kassim to pay damages to him.

The question of law consented by all parties was pertaining to Lim's locus standi (legal standing) to maintain the lawsuit in his official capacity.In December 2016, the Court of Appeal ruled that Lim, who was then Penang Chief Minister, could not sue the media for defamation in his official capacity.

In 2012, Lim sued Perkasa, Ibrahim, Ruslan, The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd (NSTP) and Utusan Melayu (M) Sdn Bhd over a statement which was published by Ruslan on Perkasa's website on Oct 1, 2011 which implied he (Lim) was endangering national security by exposing the country's secrets to Singapore.

The High Court, in 2015, ordered Perkasa, Ibrahim and Ruslan to pay RM150,000 in general and aggravated damages, while NSTP and Utusan were ordered to pay RM200,000 each in damages.However, in the Federal Court, the publishers agreed to reinstate the High Court decision and pay Lim RM200,000 each in damages.

Lawyer Hussin Mohd Razak represented Ruslan. — Bernama Read more: Malay Mail »

Guan Eng's appeal in suit against Perkasa fixed for September hearingThe court will decide if the former chief minister had the locus standi to maintain the lawsuit in his official capacity. FMTNews LimGuanEng IbrahimAli Perkasa

Guan Eng's appeal in suit against Perkasa fixed for September hearingThe court will decide if the former chief minister had the locus standi to maintain the lawsuit in his official capacity. FMTNews LimGuanEng IbrahimAli Perkasa

Hearing of third-party claim in MACC’s forfeiture suit against Johor Umno set for May 19 | Malay MailKUALA LUMPUR, April 7 — The hearing of a third-party claim in the government’s forfeiture suit with regard to  RM677,872.55 seized by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) from Johor Umno Liaison Committee allegedly linked to the 1Malaysia Development Berhad...

UK PM Johnson, battling coronavirus, set for second night in intensive care | Malay MailLONDON, April 8 — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was set to spend a second night in intensive care on Tuesday to help his fight against a coronavirus infection, as his designated deputy said he would pull through because “he's a fighter.” Johnson is receiving oxygen support but is...

Australia's parliament set to pass huge stimulus plan as S&P lowers 'AAA' outlook | Malay MailSYDNEY, April 8 ― Australia's coveted “AAA” rating came under a cloud on Wednesday as the country's parliament returned to pass an emergency A$130 billion (RM565.14 billion) stimulus package to help cushion the blow to the economy from the coronavirus pandemic. Australia's government has so...

WHO head defends handling of coronavirus pandemic against Trump criticism | Malay MailGENEVA, April 9 — The head of the World Health Organisation gave a strident defence of his agency's handling of the coronavirus pandemic yesterday, in response to US President Donald Trump's criticism and suggestion that Washington could review its funding for the agency. WHO Director General...