“Why do you need toys, when you can have ketchup?” 11 moments from this year's Late Late Toy Show
Mystery phone bidder Tony Holohan, ringing the bell on cancer, and Hakuna Matata master Kellie Harrington.
With one blast of ‘Hakuna Matata’, and Ryan reaching into an ostrich teddy’s bum, the show into full swing – with Ryan gently warning the kids at home that the Suez Canal issues might affect Santa’s delivering ability this year.As is the case every year, the kids stole the show. Here are some highlights if you missed it, or just want to relive it.
1. The cool line-up of kidsGiggly Alanna started the Toy Show off with a bag. Even though the first toy didn’t work quite right (that didn’t take long), she moved swiftly onto the next thing like a TV pro.Then there was Lorcan the Ketchup King, who after testing out some toys, went back to squeeze a ketchup bottle dry, leaving Tubridy to say: “Why do you need toys, when you can have ketchup?” A worthy message for a Toy Show.
Also shoutout to the kid who told Poor Ed Sheeran he’s heard his song about “1.2 million times”. That kid’s been counting.This was before he was offered tickets to see him live, of course.2. Róisín, the Five-asaurusSource: Late Late Toy Show headtopics.com
Róisín, who is just five years old (FIVE), did a rapid-fire question round on dinosaur toys, which she wheeled confidently on set in a pram.Sitting opposite Ryan in massive dinosaur claw gloves, even picking up a tiny cupcake didn’t phase her. Prehistoric greatness.
3. Calum and his little brother Jackson, the DJsJust before the Government rules on nightclubs kicked in at midnight, kid DJ Calum lined up a catchy track for a talented group of dancers.Dublin Gaeilgeoir Calum and his little brother Jackson spoke about how they love what they do, and how they “get the crowd going” – it wasn’t long before the Strawberry Alarm Clock invited them on.
When Calum welled up after Ryan and the Toy Show gifted him some fresh new DJ equipment, his little brother did what all little brothers would do on national television, and pointed it out that he was emotional at the gift.Calum did what any other brother would do, and told him to ‘shush’.
4. Finn, who rang the bell on cancerFinn, the lego kid, ringing (and breaking) the bell for cancer. 💪 #LateLateToyShow pic.twitter.com/8nnhjuffot— TheJournal.ie (@thejournal_ie) November 26, 2021When young Finn had cancer, he told Ryan that all he could play with was Lego. headtopics.com
While hooked up to machines in hospital, he played with the toy Lego pieces while receiving treatment.Finn got the all-clear during the Covid-19 pandemic, but didn’t get to celebrate the moment properly because of hospital restrictions in place at the time. On the Late Late tonight, he rang the bell on cancer.
As a gift, Ryan and the Late Late Toy Show gave Finn and his family a trip to Legoworld in Denmark. A great gift for a brave kid.5. Abigale, the fashionistaMe in someone’s kitchen at 4am #LateLateToyShow pic.twitter.com/oEassMaJgD— Niamh Ní Phiondar (@niamhpender_) November 26, 2021
A woman of style and substance, as Ryan put it, Abigale was made to be on television.She even made the weird wheel-of-fortune sock game look fun.Related Read 26.11.21 It's Toy Show night and Tubridy is bringing 'no worries' mantra into homes with Lion King theme
6. Úna, the harpistSource: The Late Late Toy ShowÚna, who is hard of hearing, played a beautiful rendition of ‘A Million Dreams’, from The Greatest Showman.Úna was diagnosed a bit late as being hard of hearing, because during a hearing test in senior infants, she got all the right answers by lip reading the testers, so they didn’t think there was anything wrong. Now, she is on television showing her musical prowess. headtopics.com
7. Kellie Harrington – a good sportThe Olympic champ came on the show as a guest tonight – after years of failing to get tickets as an audience member.Not only did she donate signed gloves and Olympic vests to the two girls – she donated her time to visit the girls’ school for a boxing lesson.
And also took part in a whacky dress-up challenge which involved wearing boxing gloves. After Ryan handed her a pair and said ‘do you know how to use these’ – Ryan’s lucky she didn’t use them.8. ‘Lil Sips’, the rapperA rap name inspired by the cure for hiccups, he said ‘blunts’ live on air, and he didn’t throw away his shot on the book review Toy Show slot.
What a lad.9. Isabella, the Francophile#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to youSupport us nowSource: Late Late Toy ShowIsabella gave the country some stress relief advice (did anyone else take notes), talked about how she would love to visit the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre Museum.
Isabella, her brother AJ, her parents and her auntie Mairéad are going to Paris and Disneyland, thanks to Aer Lingus and the Late Late Show crew. A lovely family gift, particularly for mother Claire, who won carer of the year for Co Clare this week.
Trés bien.10. Jamie and Coben, the cool Cork rappersCorkonian rappers Jamie and Coben got a request from music superstar Ed Sheeran, and began rapping after turning down a beat-box backing from him.In fairness, they didn’t need it.11. The Irish public’s kindness
The Revolut option to donate money to this year’s Toy Show appeal crashed – such was the generosity of this year’s Late Late Toy Show viewership.It gathered over €3.3 million during the three-hour fun fest.Read more: TheJournal.ie »
Ashling Murphy 'brought happiness and was loved'
Mourners at the funeral mass for Ashling Murphy have heard that her family and boyfriend were 'robbed of your most precious gift'.
Tubridy just makes the whole thing unwatchable for me. He’s an almighty goon of the highest order.
RTÉ Toy Show Appeal | Charity | Donate | Late Late toy ShowDonate to RTÉ Toy Show Appeal. Your generosity will help charities which provide essential support, healthcare, well-being, play and creativity. All donations help to change children's lives for good. Wow. Nearly enough for Tubridy's salary now..... At least half that money is going up Tubridys nose before Christmas!
Late Late Toy Show halftime review: RTÉ’s biggest show-piece leaps out roaringIt isn’t about the toys or Broadway routines, but is Ireland’s most watched programme Omicron is an anagram for moronic Car crash reality show The CMOIreland Covid show has long replaced it.
RTE Late Late Toy Show viewers praise Ryan Tubridy for 'epic' opening'Ryan, you are just fantastic!”
Here are the global air times for tonight's Late Late Toy ShowFor those who are living abroad and want to watch the fan-favourite live, the show will be aired on the RTE Player
Tips to avoid Late Late Toy Show disruption on RTE Player after prior complaintsEnsure you are running an up-to-date version of iOS and Android minimum iOS 9.0 and Android 5.0
The ten stages of emotional trauma you will experience watching The Late Late Toy ShowThe Toy Show ranks as my second favourite special edition LLS. 10 stages of pass the puke bucket Who the fuck comes up with this driven