Saudi officials announce Yemen ceasefire amid pandemic
The ceasefire will be for two weeks.
The officials told journalists that the decision was in response to UN calls to halt hostilities amid the coronavirus pandemic. They said the ceasefire will be for two weeks, during which the coalition will support UN efforts to bring the rival parties to the table for talks.
With the #coronavirus pandemic threatening conflict-affected countries in the Middle East, the UN is working to stop #COVID19 and prevent further suffering. https://t.co/5yXL6jXvzA— United Nations (@UN) April 8, 2020UN secretary general Antonio Guterres said earlier this month that warring parties in 11 countries had responded positively to his appeal for a global ceasefire to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.
The announcement comes as heavy fighting in Yemen between pro-government forces and the Houthis killed more than 270 people in the past 10 days, according to government officials and tribal leaders.The officials said forces of the internationally recognised government dealt a heavy blow to the Houthis in the provinces of Marib, Jawf and Bayda. The US-backed, Saudi-led coalition backing the government of President Abed Rabou Mansour Hadi carried out more than 370 air strikes against the Houthis in less than two weeks, the officials said.
Abdu Abdullah Magli, spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, said they wrested control of the strategic Hilan mountains, west of the oil-rich province of Marib about 70 miles east of the Houthi-controlled capital, Sanaa.He said the government forces reclaimed the Labnat military camp in Jawf province and were progressing towards the strategic northern city of Hazm, the provincial capital of Jawf.The Houthis, who took Hazm last month, dismissed the government claims, saying they still control the camp.
Yahia Sarea, a spokesman for the Houthi forces, said they fired a ballistic missile targeting government forces in southern Abyan province.The violence flared up late last month after a foiled rebel drone and missile attack targeting the Saudi capital. Saudi Arabia’s Air Defence Forces said they intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile over Riyadh. Another missile was also intercepted and destroyed over the southern Saudi city of Jizan, which borders Yemen, they said. The missile attack prompted the coalition to launch an intensive air campaign on rebel-held Sanaa and other areas, in what they say was aimed at “destroying legitimate military targets” held by the Houthis.
Yemen, the Arab world’s poorest nation, has been ravaged by civil war since 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthis took control of the country’s north, including the capital Sanaa. Read more: BreakingNews.ie »
Coronavirus Ireland: UCC opens centre to deliver chemotherapy to cancer patients amid coronavirus pandemicUniversity College Cork (UCC) has opened a centre to deliver chemotherapy to patients with cancer during the Covid-19 crisis.
Coronavirus: 100 days of global upheavalA pandemic has been declared, schools and shops are closed, half the global population is confined in some form, while governments scramble to announce massive aid packages amid recession fears Might Bill Gates save the situation....... No recession talk, when this is all over give everyone 5k gift vouchers which are accepted across all businesses that can be spent in Ireland only that are valid until the end of 2021. Introduce BasicIncome now!
Coronavirus: Dublin City Council rates down €20m in MarchRetail, leisure and hospitality businesses have come to standstill during pandemic How are newspaper sales Won’t be a water park in the docklands anytime soon!
Eurozone talks break off without agreement on fight against pandemicFinance ministers from the 19 countries that use the euro single currency have broken off talks amid deep divisions over how best to respond to the ravages of Covid-19 on European economies and will meet again on Thursday. Link says 'no such story' QuSysTCD If they fail us once more Europe will collapse
Twitter founder commits £812 million to fight pandemicThe money will later be used to address issues with girls’ health, Jack Dorsey said. Is he trying to write off money due to the lawsuit against him for censoring free speech? Can he not round it off to 813 cool boys health can go some where else so
Twitter founder commits £812 million to fight pandemicThe money will later be used to address issues with girls’ health, Jack Dorsey said. In stocks and shares... Not cash