Reid departure preceded by rows over Navan hospital

28/06/2022 03:21:00

Reid departure preceded by rows over Navan hospital

Reid departure preceded by rows over Navan hospital

Speculation CEO leaving HSE over issues related to closure of emergency services at Our Lady’s

Expand Paul Reid, outgoing chief executive of the Health Service Executive: Sources on all sides are insisting his departure was not prompted by controversy over the plans to close Navan hospital's emergency department.Paul Reid told RTÉ's This Week that"it would be a mistake" for the minister to use his powers under Section 10 of the Health Act to direct the Health Service Executive to call a halt to its plans.Reid said patients are at risk of poorer health outcomes if the HSE does not follow-through with this plan., while Tánaiste Leo Varadkar questioned whether the HSE's plan is wise.

Photograph: Brian Lawless By Jack Horgan-Jones Tue Jun 28 2022 - 01:15 Paul Reid’s announcement he is leaving his role as Health Service Executive chief executive was preceded by fractious exchanges over the future of emergency services in Our Lady’s Hospital, Navan.He said on Monday he was stepping down in December with a “heavy heart” in order to spend more time with his family.Among those who have expressed concerns about the plans are the Minister for Justice Helen McEntee, who is also a TD for the area.While sources on all sides insisted his departure was not prompted by controversy over the plans to close Navan’s emergency department, The Irish Times has learned that teams from the HSE and the Department of Health clashed over the move.Image: Leon Farrell/RollingNews.Mr Reid and Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly were party to exchanges over the plan in the middle of last week, sources said.The HSE says it is providing additional resources to the hospital in Drogheda, and to the National Ambulance Service to address these concerns.Amid praise for Mr Reid’s stewardship of the HSE during the pandemic, there was widespread speculation that his departure was related to these issues, or to an interview he gave on Sunday defending the plan, but sources briefed on the HSE chief’s thinking insist that is not the case."Who is in charge of the health service? And when will Government actually do their job and implement the will of the people on this? "And that is why we as a hospital campaign are organising a mass rally on the 9th of July in Navan to show this is not tolerable and that lives will be put at risk.

Nonetheless, the face-off now threatens to overshadow the last six months of his tenure.Mr Reid said today that the HSE is pressing on with its plans despite the minister's request.Patients attending this new unit would need a GP referral and critically ill patients would be diverted away from Navan to other hospitals such as Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda.Mr Reid is understood to be firmly of the conviction that the plan should go ahead due to concerns about patient safety held by senior medics.But there are misgivings in Government over the capacity of nearby hospitals to handle patients coming from Navan..Risk transfer Mr Donnelly sought a written note after meeting medics at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, which was received on Monday.Last week Health Minister Stephen Donnelly told the Dáil that the government is not satisfied with the plans and that he had instructed the HSE not to proceed.Sources familiar with the contents said it outlined concerns that the extra patients would place that hospital’s emergency department under extra pressure and, without commensurate investment, was transferring risk from Navan to Drogheda.the minister has raised concerns with us, and we're addressing those concerns over the coming weeks.

HSE sources said they were well aware of the issues raised in Drogheda and insisted they would be addressed.They criticised what one said seemed to be a “politically inspired” move to “construct a selective case” that could frustrate the process."People in the Navan and Meath area are really at risk of poorer health outcomes, and indeed death, if we don't take these actions.“I want to be very clear on this.A HSE spokeswoman said it had planned for the extra resources required, and was engaging through “established governance” structures.“It is now necessary that patients who are unstable or seriously ill are brought to the right hospital, first time, rather than to a hospital that cannot provide them with the urgent care they need, risking poor outcomes for these patients."The Minister can, through Section 10 of the Health Act, direct us not to do it, but I hope we don't get there, and I think that would be a mistake" he said.” Mr Reid joins other high-profile figures involved in the pandemic response who have stepped aside, including chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan and his deputy Dr Ronan Glynn, and HSE chief operating officer Anne O’Connor.Speaking to RTÉ’s This Week today, Reid said the HSE is now “at the final steps of a whole set of processes”, which he said would ultimately result in an increase in services provided at the hospital.

The Taoiseach led tributes to Mr Reid, highlighting his “leadership of the HSE through an extraordinary number of years, particularly during Covid-19″..Mr Donnelly praised his “exemplary leadership” and “dedication and professionalism”..“People in the Navan and Meath area are really at risk of poorer health outcomes and indeed death if we don’t address these actions,” he said.

Read more:
The Irish Times »
Loading news...
Failed to load news.

Plans for Navan hospital ED 'will proceed' - ReidThe Chief Executive of the HSE has said plans to reconfigure the Emergency Department at Our Lady's Hospital Navan will proceed, despite a request from the Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly to put them on hold. Tale wagging the dog here DonnellyStephen The HSELive is one big mistake! It’s a shambles and an insult to the citizens of Ireland 🇮🇪 hse Health healthcare For 2 years we have listened to countless warnings of 'grave concern' about the pressure Covid put on our overstretched hospitals yet those most responsible for the mess they are in continue to show they actually don't give a f&k.

HSE chief says Navan Hospital plan will proceed despite Minister's instructionLast week the Health Minister said he was not satisfied with the plan. qualann Of course.. He seems to have more power than anyone else in the country Well worth his wages 1👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

ED Arrangements At Navan Hospital Are Unsafe - Clinical DirectorCurrent arrangements at the Emergency Department at Our Ladies Hospital in Navan are unsafe, according to the facility's clinical director.It comes after the...

Patient outcomes key consideration in Navan ED decision, says TaoiseachTaoiseach says he is satisfied there is no connection between Paul Reid’s departure as HSE chief executive and row over reconfiguration of Navan ED So the polititians make this determination and not the health experts? That’s why we have the health system we have.

Paul Reid to step down as HSE chief executive in DecemberReid, who led the health service throughout the pandemic, said he had no immediate career plans