Nadal survives Wimbledon scare as Covid forces Berrettini out

28/06/2022 22:45:00

“Three years without being here on this amazing surface, it is amazing to be back,” said the Spaniard.

Covıd-, Third-Set Wobble

“Three years without being here on this amazing surface, it is amazing to be back,” said the Spaniard.

Elsewhere, women’s top seed Iga Swiatek extended her winning streak and Serena Williams returned to singles after a year away.

“Three years without being here on this amazing surface, it is amazing to be back and I can’t thank (people) enough for the support,” said the Spaniard, who has not played at Wimbledon since 2019.But the match suddenly switched gears as Nadal broke to level at 4-4, accompanied by roars from the Centre Court crowd.

He held serve and then broke again to seal the victory and will face Lithuania’s Ricardas Berankis in the next round.“Every day is a test,” said the two-time Wimbledon champion. “I am at the beginning of the tournament and everyone knows the difficult circumstances that I had.”

Read more:
The42.ie »

Road safety appeal as new drug testing device deployed

Gardaí are deploying a new drug testing device for drivers from today, to coincide with the start of their Christmas and New Year road safety campaign. Read more >>

Defence Forces to be used at Dublin Airport only in event of Covid outbreak | JOE.ieThe Dublin Airport Authority is treating the measure as an emergency last resort scenario PayOurTroops

Defence Forces to be used at Dublin Airport only in event of Covid outbreak | JOE.ieDefence Forces to be used at Dublin Airport only in event of Covid outbreak

Defence Forces on standby to aid Dublin Airport security in case of Covid outbreakBREAKING: Defence Forces on standby to aid Dublin Airport security in case of Covid outbreak 'in case of Covid outbreak'? Seriously lads...ye can do that better than this for traffic? 😂😂😂😂😂 propaganda machine going full on again now.

Last year's runner-up out of Wimbledon due to Covid-19Last year's runner-up and one of the favourites for Wimbledon , Matteo Berrettini, has withdrawn from the tournament after testing positive for coronavirus

Aer Lingus apologises for 13 cancelled flightsSpike in Covid cases among staff adds to pressure on airline Ah sur it’s grand. These things happen, no need for them to apologise. Flight from Brussels to Dublin tomorrow evening also cancelled. Seems like more than 13. AerLingus But offers no explanation....?

European shares hit a two-week highEasing of Covid-19 restrictions in China lifts sentiment

Image: Alamy Stock Photo Image: Alamy Stock Photo RAFAEL NADAL OVERCAME a huge scare to reach the Wimbledon second round on Tuesday after title contender Matteo Berrettini was forced to pull out of the tournament with coronavirus.READ MORE 91% of the 50,000 to 55,000 passengers that departed the airport each day cleared security in less than 45 minutes, according to a daa spokesperson.READ MORE 91% of the 50,000 to 55,000 passengers that departed the airport each day cleared security in less than 45 minutes, according to a daa spokesperson.Conor Gallagher Tue Jun 28 2022 - 13:01 Dublin Airport may call on the Defence Forces to aid security checks in case of a Covid outbreak among staff.

Elsewhere on day two of the Championships, women’s top seed Iga Swiatek extended her winning streak to 36 matches and Serena Williams returned to singles tennis after a year away. An off-key Nadal, already halfway to a calendar Grand Slam after winning the Australian Open and French Open, dug deep to beat Francisco Cerundolo 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Daa has outlined to Government that a"prudent contingency" in the form of preparing initial steps to facilitate the training of Defence Forces personnel should be put in place. “Three years without being here on this amazing surface, it is amazing to be back and I can’t thank (people) enough for the support,” said the Spaniard, who has not played at Wimbledon since 2019. Daa spokesperson Graeme McQueen notes that such a deployment should only occur"in the event that significant Covid-19 related absences due to illness and infection affected daa's own security team". “It is not a surface that we play very often, especially in my case. Advertisement "Any deployment of Defence Forces personnel would only be triggered as a second phase, and only if ultimately required due to a Covid-19 outbreak," McQueen adds. In the last three years I didn’t put any foot on the grass. However, it adds that the heightened risk of a Covid-19 outbreak among staff, the company believes it prudent to prepare to deploy the Defence Forces.

” The Spaniard appeared to be coasting to victory when he took a two-set lead but his Argentine opponent won the third set and then went a break up early in the fourth. "While I recognise that the role of the Defence Forces is not normally to assist in the provision of services for a commercial airport, I have agreed to this request on a clear assurance that this is a distinct piece of work, provided in extreme circumstances, as a short-term emergency related contingency action and is in direct response to a letter from daa management to the Minister for Transport," he said. "While I recognise that the role of the Defence Forces is not normally to assist in the provision of services for a commercial airport, I have agreed to this request on a clear assurance that this is a distinct piece of work, provided in extreme circumstances, as a short-term emergency related contingency action and is in direct response to a letter from daa management to the Minister for Transport," he said. But the match suddenly switched gears as Nadal broke to level at 4-4, accompanied by roars from the Centre Court crowd. Advertisement Source: Alamy Stock Photo He held serve and then broke again to seal the victory and will face Lithuania’s Ricardas Berankis in the next round. Members of our Defence Forces will undergo an immediate period of training and stand ready to assist if the need arises. There was a question mark over the Spaniard’s durability for the two weeks at Wimbledon having played the entire French Open with his troublesome left foot anaesthetised. Advertisement "However, this support will be stood down in August when the busy holiday period has passed. The 36-year-old second seed has since undergone a course of radiofrequency stimulation, a treatment aimed at reducing nerve pain in his foot and he looked mobile." Featured Imagery via Leah Farrell / RollingNews. The Minister said the deployment “is clearly defined in terms of the role and timeline” and will last no longer than six weeks.

“Every day is a test,” said the two-time Wimbledon champion. “I am at the beginning of the tournament and everyone knows the difficult circumstances that I had.” The early action at the All England Club on Tuesday was overshadowed by the announcement from Berrettini — last year’s runner-up — that coronavirus had forced him out of the tournament. “I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from @wimbledon due to a positive COVID-19 test result,” the 26-year-old Italian wrote on Instagram. Berrettini was widely regarded as one of the biggest threats to defending champion Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon, having captured back-to-back grass-court titles in Stuttgart and Queen’s. Mr Coveney said assurances have been received from DAA that it will continue with its own recruitment of security staff “and the introduction of other mitigations during this period.

He is the second man to withdraw from Wimbledon with Covid in two days after 2017 runner-up Marin Cilic of Croatia also tested positive. The Italian was a potential semi-final opponent for Nadal. It is business as usual at the Grand Slam this year after the tournament was cancelled due to Covid in 2020 and last year was played in front of reduced crowds. Exclusive NZ - IRE Rugby Analysis Get Murray Kinsella's match analysis and Garry Doyle's updates from New Zealand exclusive to members Become a Member The All England Club said in a statement that protocols remained in place to minimise the risk of infection. Poland’s world number one Swiatek coasted into the second round with a routine 6-0, 6-3 victory against Croatian qualifier Jana Fett.

The French Open champion, who has won her past six tournaments, said she was relishing the atmosphere at the grass-court event. “I feel I have only played 12 weeks of my life on grass but the whole atmosphere and tradition is pumping me up and just looking forward to the next matches,” she said. Also in the women’s draw, 2019 champion Simona Halep beat Czech player Karolina Muchova 6-3, 6-2 while fourth seed Paula Badosa lost just three games against Louisa Chirico. Beaten French Open finalist Coco Gauff, the 11th seed, recovered from losing the first set against Romania’s Elena-Gabriela Ruse to win 2-6, 6-3, 7-5. In the evening session, seven-time champion Williams was facing unseeded Harmony Tan of France in her first singles contest since an injury forced her to pull out of her first-round match last year.

Williams, 40, won the last of her Wimbledon singles titles six years ago but reached the final in 2018 and 2019. .