Randall Denley: Ontario finally has a plan for surgical backlogs. It needs a better one
The Ontario government simply hasn’t focused on the “elective” surgery problem, which includes vital heart, hip, knee and eye procedures
AdvertisementThis advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.Article content continuedThe government did release a “framework” for the surgical restart back in May. It had two main components, neither of which benefited those in the queue. It required hospitals to keep available 10 per cent of their acute bed capacity in case of a second wave of the virus and to maintain a 30-day supply of medical supplies.
More On This TopicRandall Denley: Ontario's back to school plan has some notable weaknessesIt has been left to hospitals to find a way to pick up the surgical pace, but it’s a hopeless task without substantial new provincial money. The province’s Financial Accountability Office estimated that as of April 22, 52,700 surgeries had been cancelled or avoided. Each week of additional elective surgery shutdown would add just over 12,000 to that total.
Two weeks later, Health Minister Christine Elliott announced that surgeries could resume. By that time, the backlog was probably about 75,000.How big is the backlog now? And have hospitals made any progress in reducing it? That seems like questions for which someone should have a ready answer. Ontario Health, which is supposed to manage such things says “it is difficult to determine” how many patients are waiting for surgeries, in total, or the number delayed by the pandemic.
The minimum number of 75,000 is probably conservative, given that the province is still compelling hospitals to run at reduced capacity to save space for potential COVID patients. The total number of hospital beds has been expanded, so that might offset the capacity reduction. But really, who knows? Ontario’s vague, slow-moving approach to this significant health-care problem contrasts rather unfavourably with the actions of the B.C. government. On the same day that Elliott was announcing her framework, B.C. released a plan for action.
AdvertisementThis advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.Article content continuedB.C..’s plan involved exactly the steps a rational person might expect. The government hired more surgeons, nurses and anesthesiologists to cut the backlog. It expanded operating room hours and relied on private clinics for the procedures they are capable of handling.
B.C.’s plan has a price tag, a goal, details on how it would be reached and reporting on progress. Using those criteria as a standard, Ontario is zero for four. Back in July, Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he wanted the surgical backlog “cleaned up as quickly as possible.” Unfortunately, merely saying that does nothing.
Even before the pandemic, wait times for surgery in Ontario were unacceptably long. Is it reasonable for Ontarians to wait 208 days for eye surgery, 213 days for orthopaedic surgery, 167 days for pediatric surgery or 158 days for neurosurgery? Those were the numbers last June. All are substantially higher now.
One of the durable myths about surgical wait times is that the government of the day is doing all it can, but there just aren’t enough doctors and operating rooms to provide timely service. The province’s forthcoming effort to resolve the pandemic backlog will show that surgical wait times can be cut with a combination of money, organization and creative thinking about what must be done in hospitals and what can be done elsewhere.
Once Ontario powers up the surgery system, it shouldn’t be content with returning to the dismal numbers it had pre-pandemic. Delivering real improvements in wait times would be a vote-getting policy for the PC government and an overdue reward for patients who are literally long-suffering. After sitting on its hands for the last four months, the government owes the public substantial and sustained action ASAP. Every week of additional delay just makes the backlog worse.
Randall Denley is an Ottawa political commentator and author of the new mystery Payback, available at randalldenley.com Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more: National Post »
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court justice and pioneer for women, dies at 87
The justice had recently revealed that her cancer had returned after an earlier battle with the disease.
I’ve been waiting 2 years for surgery on my hand!! A family member in MB needed something similar. It was done they next day. I’m going broke replacing things I’ve dropped. Phones, key fobs are expensive. I can’t type on a keyboard. fordnation has zero social society conscience.
Ontario education minister provides update on back-to-school planOntario Education Minister Stephen Lecce is providing an update on the province’s back-to-school plan Thursday afternoon. Somebody give me the Cole’s Notes. I can’t listen to this guy Elementary classes with 30 students!!! This kind of update is more than necessary to ensure all stakeholders are on the same page.👍👍
Paul McCartney and Ryan Reynolds nominated for chief of First Nation in Ontario thanks to 'archaic' clauseIf their names are allowed to stand, one of them could in theory become the new band chief for Walpole Island, a First Nation reserve in southwestern Ontario HahahahahahahahahahahahabahahabahHahHahHahahahaha So let me get this straight. Some native councils have decided that the oppression to have endured for 300 years from white governments as they claim is not enough so we’re going to make a white person there chief?Of all people they pick Ryan Reynolds. Only in 2020! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 What a farce.
TDSB can’t ensure smaller class sizes, warns Toronto schools may not be ready in timeThe four main Ontario teachers’ unions also say the government’s back-to-school plan violates occupational health and safety legislation Of course they cant. Of course it might not be ready in time. That's part of the plan. But it's just in time for the flu shot. Take it, spread it. Shed it. Then call it an outbreak.
Dolly Parton Is Trying To Save 2020 By Releasing A Christmas AlbumFirst, she donated $1 million to COVID-19 vaccine research. Now, she's releasing her first Christmas album in 30 years. PartonForPresident Dolly is a compassionate and great business women. A new Christmas Album will be a huge seller. Who? StopUsingTaglineForTweets
Forest fire grows near Red Lake, Ont., forcing community to evacuateA forest fire burning near a northwestern Ontario community has grown, according to the Province of Ontario’s forest fire map. My son works at a mine there and they evacuated yesterday. They drove out not knowing if the highway would still be passable.
German coronavirus tests backlog: 900 positive not yet toldGerman authorities worked through the night to clear a backlog of coronavirus tests from travellers after it emerged 900 people who were positive for COVID-19 had yet to be informed.