Ontario easing COVID-19 restrictions for restaurants and bars on Jan. 31, Premier Doug Ford announces

2022-01-20 7:58:00 PM

Ontario easing COVID-19 restrictions for restaurants and bars on Jan. 31, Premier Doug Ford announces

Ontario easing COVID-19 restrictions for restaurants and bars on Jan. 31, Premier Doug Ford announces

As of Jan. 31 at 12:01 a.m., Ontario will increase its social gathering limits to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors, while allowing restaurants and bars and other similar businesses without dancefloors to open at 50 per cent capacity

.restrictions on indoor restaurant dining, gyms, movie theatres and more on Jan.Create Free Account Ontario Premier Doug Ford will on Thursday announce a gradual lifting of public-health restrictions that were implemented earlier this month to blunt a powerful wave of COVID-19 in the province driven by the more contagious Omicron variant.Social Sharing Senior government sources confirm news to Radio-Canada CBC News · Posted: Jan 19, 2022 5:59 PM ET | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago Patrons dine at Hendriks Restaurant and Bar on Yonge Street in Toronto on Oct.

Retailers, including groceries and pharmacies, along with malls, sports facilities and gyms, cinemas, meeting and event spaces, amusement parks and museums, casinos and religious services will also be allowed to reopen, with 50 per cent capacity limits.Large venues such as hockey arenas, concert venues and theatres can operate at 50 per cent capacity or 500 people, whichever is less.The date, a week from Monday, will mark almost four weeks since Premier Doug Ford ordered venues closed on Jan.The province’s vaccine-passport system remains in place.Originally, Ontario had identified Jan.On Feb.But there are signs the Omicron wave is peaking after quickly burning through the province, with the growth in infections and hospitalizations slowing.21, Ontario says it plans to increase gathering limits to 25 people indoors and 100 people outdoors, while removing capacity limits on restaurants, bars and all other venues that require proof-of-vaccination.Currently, food and drink establishments in Ontario are only allowed to offer takeout, drive-thru and delivery services.

Large sports arenas, concert venues and theatres would then be allowed 50 per cent capacity.“We expect these trends to continue, giving us more confidence as we plan for what comes next.The Globe and Mail is not identifying the sources as they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.Other places where vaccine passports are not required would still face capacity limits, in order to allow two meters of physical distance.Higher risk settings, such as nightclubs or wedding receptions, would face 25 per cent capacity limits.That teaser, and a promise from Elliott to provide “more clarity later this week,” frustrated a business community that felt it was being strung along after struggling through almost two years in the pandemic.By March 14, Ontario says it expects to lift most remaining indoor capacity limits, with its proof-of-vaccination system still in place.COVID-19 cases are expected to peak this month, Ms.Indoor social gathering limits would rise to 50 people indoors, with no limits for outdoor gatherings.“It’s beyond frustrating to the point of being hugely insulting to people who are hanging on by their fingernails.The Ford government put those restrictions in place on Jan.

The government says slowing growth in hospitalizations and the proportion of COVID-19 tests returning positive shows the restrictions are working and that they can be eased in the coming weeks.“The evidence tells us that the measures we put in place to blunt transmission of Omicron are working,” Premier Doug Ford said in a news release.31 would give the province time to track trends in key pandemic indicators, do more vaccinations and see how the reopening of schools is impacting infection levels and the health-care system, sources said.“I do want to be clear, February will continue to pose challenges, especially for our hospitals as people continue to require care for COVID-19,” Ms.“We can be confident that the worst is behind us and that we are now in a position to cautiously and gradually ease public health measures.While February will continue to present its own challenges, given current trends these are challenges we are confident we can manage.When the restrictions were imposed, Ford said the tentative date for lifting them was Jan.” The reopening will take place almost a month after Mr.Given current trends, we are increasingly confident in our ability to do so.Retail settings and personal care services were capped at 50 per cent capacity.

Ford closed restaurants and cancelled non-emergency surgeries as a wave of the highly transmissible Omicron variant of COVID-19 threatened to swamp hospitals and overwhelm the health system.Chief medical officer Dr.After a two-week delay, students in Ontario went back to school this week, although some boards, including in Toronto, were forced to further put off the return for a couple more days due to a massive snowstorm.The new day for the start of Ontario’s reopening, Jan.Typically, stages move in 14-day increments so their impact can be measured.“I want to assure Ontarians that we’re starting to see glimmers of hope,” she said.31, is five days after the original date Mr.Ford had set for this latest round of time-limited public health measures.“We still have hospitals that are under very challenging circumstances,” said Matthew Anderson, chief executive of the Ontario Health agency, which oversees all components of the health-care system."They need to order food and supplies, schedule staff and prepare menus.

The Premier and his Chief Medical Officer of Health, Kieran Moore, said they were needed to blunt Omicron’s rapid rise and allow time for more children to get vaccinated and more adults to get the booster shots needed to better combat the virus.The average length of stay in hospital for COVID-19 patients is now five days with the Omicron variant, compared with nine days with Delta, he said.While health officials have said increases in hospitalizations and ICU admissions have slowed, the province’s hospitals remain under strain.Ontario still has 4,061 people in its hospitals with COVID-19, more than in any previous wave of the pandemic.It also had 594 patients in intensive-care units with the virus, which is shy of the previous pandemic record of nearly 900.The government announced on Jan.Hospitals remain under immense strain and many are short-staffed, or operating at capacity, with many workers forced to isolate due to illness, exposure or positive tests."Current emergency aid from the provincial government only covers a small portion of losses and leaves out many hard-hit businesses altogether.

Daily deaths continue to rise to levels not seen since previous waves.Ontario recorded 75 COVID-19 deaths on Thursday, although it said this high total was due to a data cleanup and that these deaths occurred over the past 19 days.Schools were also moved online for two weeks earlier this month, with classes resuming in person this week.Ontario reported 59 new deaths the day before.In a statement earlier Thursday, Alexandra Hilkene, a spokeswoman for Health Minister Christine Elliott, said the province was looking into whether it should distinguish between “causal and incidental deaths related to COVID-19,” such as people in palliative care who die of other causes but test positive for the virus.Mr.Ontario reported 4,132 people in hospital Wednesday with COVID-19, and 589 people in intensive care – a decrease in hospital admissions from 4,183 the previous day, but an increase in ICU patients from 580.

Ford had said this week in talk-radio appearances and brief comments before TV cameras that he expected to announce “positive” news soon for restaurants and other businesses.On Wednesday, his Health Minister had said she saw “glimmers of hope” on Wednesday in the slowing pace of increases in hospitalizations and intensive-care numbers.Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines.“We don’t realize these benefits for a number of more weeks..

Read more:
The Globe and Mail »
Loading news...
Failed to load news.

It's about time. Stay away from the big events in Toronto. They are great big covid spreading events. Before needed surgeries. VoteFordOut

Ontario plans to ease COVID-19 restrictions on Jan. 31Ontario is planning to ease COVID-19 restrictions on indoor restaurant dining, gyms, movie theatres and more on Jan. 31, allowing them to open at 50 per cent customer capacity with masking protocols and proof of vaccination. Good to know, and double good to know the anti vax flat earthers will still be excluded from public life. With 75 deaths in the last 24 hrs. Awesome.

Ontario set to loosen pandemic restrictions starting Jan. 31Doug Ford to announce gradual lifting of public-health restrictions as health minister sees ‘glimmers of hope’ in Ontario’s fight against Omicron Hospitalizations and deaths at all time pandemic highs. Hospitals collapsing under the pressure What could go wrong..... High time my boy needs to losen his belt. Gettin all fat up in eeeeeeere Thank you master

Ontario to reopen restaurants at 50% capacity on Jan. 31 | CBC NewsOntario Premier Doug Ford will announce Thursday that restaurants in the province will be allowed to reopen at 50 per cent capacity starting on Jan. 31, Radio-Canada has confirmed. Doug Ford is the only option for Ontario! I see Ford is pulling a Trump... no cases means we good! 😂🤣😅 Remove all restrictions

Ontario to begin easing COVID-19 restrictions on Jan. 31, with plan to lift most measures by mid-March | CBC NewsOntario easing COVID-19 restrictions as of Jan. 31, with plan to lift most measures by mid-March. Host of indoor settings can reopen to the public with 50% capacity limits at end of month. Enhanced proof of vaccination, masking rules to remain in place. Mid March? What? This foolishness has gone on long enough. Open it all or close it all doesn’t matter the world we use to live in is gone now let’s move on and let the chips fall where they may. This is based on the election, not science. Getting re-elected is all that matters to this government.

Ford to announce Thursday that restaurants will be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity on Jan. 31 | CBC NewsOntario Premier Doug Ford will announce Thursday that restaurants will be allowed to re-open at 50 per cent capacity starting Jan. 31, Radio-Canada has confirmed. No reason to close them in the first place! I don't understand why he closed off everything instead of saying proof of vaccine passport and you can enter. Time to go full UK and live with covid. There is no exit plan on Canada! 🇨🇦 Invest in healthcare and fix the mess. It is time for the Feds and Provinces to sort this out. Pathetic!

Rudy Giuliani, other Trump allies subpoenaed by U.S. House panel investigating Jan. 6 | CBC NewsThe U.S. House of Representatives committee investigating the Capitol insurrection issued a new batch of subpoenas Tuesday to some of Donald Trump's closet advisers, including Rudy Giuliani, as the committee inches closer to the former president. How do they believe they will get around client attorney privilege?! And I used to admire Giuliani. But, tainted by the corrupt trump, Giuliani has become a historic and historical disappointment. The Salem witch hunt continues.. If you want to hold the real culprits responsible...Subpoena the FBI.