A senior NSW Health official has broken down giving evidence at the Ruby Princess inquiry, saying if the department could have their time again they would handled the situation differently
When commissioner Bret Walker SC suggested there had been a 'reprehensible shortcoming' by NSW Health in allowing people to disembark.
Under the state government's draft guidelines developed by NSW Health on February 19, if the number of flu-like cases presented was equal to or greater than 1 per cent, it would indicate an outbreak had occurred and the ship would be deemed a higher risk. If two more people had presented, the ship would have met the one per cent threshold, the inquiry heard.
"[But] by 19 March when the ship docked, the 1 per cent level had been reached, although that data was not before the health assessment panel when their determination was made," Mr Beasley said.In opening remarks, he said the outbreak of COVID-19 on cruise ships “surprised no one” given the transmissibility of the disease.
Neil Prakash: Alleged IS terrorist extradited to Victoria and charged
A Melbourne man accused of being an Islamic State terrorist was extradited to Victoria today and charged with six terrorism offences. Read more >>
one job, arrogance and a dereliction of duty by NSW health has cost lives. Good on them for being frank and open. It would'nt've been easy to say that and it sure beats the double-down approach we see so often. 19 March when ship docked, corona virus dominated the news with its spread around the world! A ship reporting a nr of passengers with flu like symptoms at a time like this should have set off alarm bells! This was not a failure of imagination. This was a failure of common sense!
...as in handled fallout for NSW Health with the AusBorderForce decision to instruct them to berth and release? Don’t take it out on the health workers. NSW supposedly has responsible government. Brad Hazzard was the minister responsible for docking this plague ship in Sydney. As the minister responsible, why didn’t he provide his department with the resources needed to avoid this outcome?
easy to say to see the absolute devastation n costing us billions OK I've read about the diamond princess and the ruby princess any news on the emmerald or garnet princesses? Were they all on route to see the wonderful wizard of Oz?
Ruby Princess coronavirus inquiry hears outdated records were supplied to NSW Health before ship docked - ABC NewsThe Ruby Princess cruise ship was deemed a 'low risk' based on an outdated log of ill passengers which meant it narrowly fell under the benchmark for State Government intervention, an inquiry hears. outdated records were supplied to NSW Health before ship docked NSW is complicit to make cruise ships docking as fast as possible to make the berth available for next cruise The squeeze led to d haste n neglect That’s not good enough, why did Border Security let the ship in when thepmo said not too PeterDutton_MP?
NSW Health investigating possible multiple infection sources at Newmarch HouseNSW Health authorities are investigating whether multiple sources of infection caused the devastating outbreak of COVID-19 at the Anglicare Newmarch aged care facility Nursing homes and cruise ships are death traps It’s sad when management are slack and in this case big time
NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro bows out of Eden-Monaro race | Sky News AustraliaAs NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro is reportedly expected to declare he will not be running for the vacant seat of Eden-Monaro, Liberal Senator Jim Molan has told Sky News he’d “love to do it,” but has not yet made up his mind.\n\nMr Barilaro will on Monday announce he won’t be running for the seat, leaving Mr Molan or Liberal NSW cabinet minister Andrew Constance as the likely coalition candidate for the election .\n\nMr Molan said it would have been a “big call” for the Nationals to take its vote from seven per cent “up to a winning per cent anyhow”.\n\nHe told Sky News host Paul Murray, whether Mr Constance runs or not is “irrelevant” to him and said it “won’t impact on me in anyway shape or form”.\n\n“This is going to be extraordinarily hard for the government, for the coalition, to win”.\n\nLabor will on Monday announce Kristy McBain, the Mayor of Bega, as its candidate for the seat.\n Do you have to live in the electorate to run for the office? I wonder why? Good
NSW Deputy Premier will not contest Eden-Monaro, paving way for his cabinet colleagueNSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro will not contest the key federal seat of Eden-Monaro, paving the way for the state's transport minister Andrew Constance to make the switch to national politics. Both suck eggs Does that mean Cobargo keeps the “emergency housing” for those who lost their homes in the “recent” 🔥 🔥 net11e Surely not Constance is an undercover lefty
NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance dials back criticism of Transurban amid COVID-19 crisisNSW Transport Minister has wound back criticism of Transurban for increasing their prices, saying he doesn't want to go to war with the tolling giant | rabe9 Rabe9 Bro, aren't you retiring from politics Rabe9 Scared of upsetting the donors and their mates. Grow some apples!!! Rabe9 Transurban are the worst corporate citizens we have in Australia. Just a rapacious disgusting company
NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance to contest Eden-Monaroeasy to see why you would not vote for this man just by looking at his track record in New South Wales auspol Some clarification please - when he said he was quitting politics, he..lied? - given his emotional state only weeks ago, does he think he’s recovered sufficiently? - if so, was his emotional distress then not as severe as it seemed? - what has he done for E-M since? But, hasn’t he already made a commitment to the NSW state electorate of Bega? A four year commitment that he has only served just over one year of! He was elected in March 2019 & just walks away in May 2020 because a better offer comes along. Do politicians have true commitment?
Play video Under the state government's draft guidelines developed by NSW Health on February 19, if the number of flu-like cases presented was equal to or greater than 1 per cent, it would indicate an outbreak had occurred and the ship would be deemed a higher risk.The Ruby Princess cruise ship was assessed as "low risk" for coronavirus infections based on an outdated log of ill passengers on board, an inquiry has heard.Play video More staff and residents have tested positive for the virus over the past week, taking the total number to 26 staff members and 37 residents, fuelling anxiety and concern among relatives of the residents.NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro bows out of Eden-Monaro race 03/05/2020 | 4min As NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro is reportedly expected to declare he will not be running for the vacant seat of Eden-Monaro, Liberal Senator Jim Molan has told Sky News he’d “love to do it,” but has not yet made up his mind.
If two more people had presented, the ship would have met the one per cent threshold, the inquiry heard. "[But] by 19 March when the ship docked, the 1 per cent level had been reached, although that data was not before the health assessment panel when their determination was made," Mr Beasley said. It has so far been linked to more than 660 cases and 21 deaths. In opening remarks, he said the outbreak of COVID-19 on cruise ships “surprised no one” given the transmissibility of the disease. Liz Lane wants her 84-year-old mother Rose Davies, who she said has "aggressive dementia", relocated from the Lawson wing of Newmarch House where many of the infected residents are located. "These ships are very large and they have the capacity to carry thousands of passengers and crew," he said. Coronavirus update: Follow all the latest news in our daily wrap Counsel Assisting the Inquiry, Richard Beasley SC, said a NSW Health team assessed the vessel as "low risk" by at least 4. "On these cruises, in close proximity to each other, people eat together, drink together, danced together and watch entertainment together. Labor will on Monday announce Kristy McBain, the Mayor of Bega, as its candidate for the seat.
Outbreaks of gastroenteritis and influenza are not uncommon. The ship's log used to make that assessment recorded 36 of the 3,795 people on board had presented to the medical centre with relevant symptoms — 0. "To me it’s simple." On March 19, Ms Ressler messaged the ship's doctor Ilse Von Watzdorf to confirm several passengers had tested positive for COVID-19. Dr Von Watzdorf said she was thinking what could have been done better and Ms Ressler responded that there would probably be a significant increase in cases. As the 1 per cent threshold had not been reached, passengers were allowed to disembark at Circular Quay the next day without any teams from NSW Health boarding to ship to make assessments. "Coronavirus on a cruise ship is a big problem. Anglicare declined to comment. It is very transmissible," Ms Ressler told the inquiry..
The inquiry continues on Wednesday. Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day's crucial developments at a glance, the numbers you need to know and what our readers are saying. "This includes moving residents without the virus away from harm, and ensuring those who have contracted COVID-19 are getting the best, most appropriate care. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald's .