Neil Prakash: Alleged IS terrorist extradited to Victoria and charged

4/12/2022 8:00:00 AM

A Melbourne man accused of being an Islamic State terrorist was extradited to Victoria today and charged with six terrorism offences.

Accused Islamic State terrorist, Neil Prakash has been charged with six terrorism offences by the Australian Federal Police. The 31-year-old was extradited to Victoria under heavy police guard, before appearing in a Melbourne court today. 9News

A Melbourne man accused of being an Islamic State terrorist was extradited to Victoria today and charged with six terrorism offences.

Neil Prakash , 31, allegedly joined and supported Islamic State in 2014, and is also accused of travelling to Syria and undertaking hostile acts in 2016.Copy link Share Alleged Islamic State fighter Neil Prakash has been extradited to Melbourne under federal police escort and has been charged with six terrorism-related offences.to save articles for later.Neil Prakash arrived in Darwin on Friday morning after being deported from Turkey.

The former rapper was deported from Turkey last week and could face a life sentence if found guilty.READ MORE: Neil Prakash has been charged with six terrorism offences.Mr Prakash, 31, was last week extradited from Türkiye, formerly Turkey, to Darwin.(AFP) Prakash originally flew into Darwin where he was arrested by Australian Federal Police.Neil Prakash is removed from an extradition flight from Darwin to Melbourne on Sunday morning.Northern Territory Local Court Chief Judge Elizabeth Morris granted an extradition order on Friday to transfer Prakash from the NT to Victoria.Australian Federal Police officers escorted Mr Prakash from Darwin to Melbourne.Among the charges Prakash will face in Melbourne Magistrate's Court are: engaging in hostile activity in a foreign state and country, being a member of a terrorist organisation, supporting and advocating for terrorism.The 31-year-old is also accused of travelling to Syria and undertaking hostile acts in 2016.

READ MORE: An arrest warrant was originally issued for Prakash six years ago in 2016.Mr Prakash's case was heard before the Melbourne Magistrates' Court shortly after midday on Sunday for a filing hearing.Loading He was also charged with being a member of a terrorist organisation, advocating terrorism, providing support to a terrorist organisation, and entering or remaining in a declared area.(AAP/Supplied) His arrest comes after a seven-year joint investigation between the Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police as part of a counter terrorism operation.An arrest warrant was originally issued for Prakash six years ago in 2016.Engaging in hostile activity in a foreign state carries a maximum penalty of life in prison under the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978."The AFP Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) has worked tirelessly on this investigation since March 2015 to ensure this man could be brought before the courts," AFP Acting Assistant Commissioner Sandra Booth said.But Prakash refused to appear in front of magistrate Donna Bakos, who was told the accused terrorist was suffering from burning pain and schizophrenia, according to Nine News."The AFP and our partners are committed to keeping Australians safe.In a statement, Acting Assistant Commissioner Sandra Booth reiterated that there was no imminent threat to public safety.Neil Prakash arrived back in Australia on Friday after being deported by Turkish authorities.

" Victoria Police Counter Terrorism Assistant Commissioner Michael Hermans said today's result came from a "tireless and collaborative effort" from Victoria Police and the AFP as part of the JCTT."The safety of the Victorian community is Victoria Police's number one priority and we will continue to work with our partners to ensure this," Assistant Commissioner Hermans said.Posted.Neil Prakash is escorted by Australian Federal Police officers in Darwin.Prakash has been described as allegedly being the "most important and the most dangerous" Australian member of Islamic State.He was arrested in Turkey in 2016 for allegedly fighting for the terrorist group in Syria and later moved to an immigration detention centre.The jihadist appeared in several videos trying to recruit fellow Australians to the IS fight, as well as fighting himself for the terrorist organisation overseas.“The AFP and our partners are committed to keeping Australians safe,” she said.In 2016, he was wrongly thought to have been killed in a US military strike in the Iraqi city of Mosul.

Prakash has also been implicated in at least two terror plots on Australian soil, including the Anzac Day plot to behead a Melbourne police officer.The former Coalition government tried to have Prakash's Australian citizenship cancelled, but that was effectively overturned by the High Court.He landed in Darwin on the same flight as.

Read more:
9News Australia »
Loading news...
Failed to load news.

Terrorist’s name is Abu Khaled al-Cambodi but media is calling him Neil Prakash. Waste of tax payer's money. A bullet would have cost less than 10 dollars Send him away for life,never to be seen again. No worries Andrews will have him reunited with his ISIS brides soon enough Bring back that INDIAN next!!👍🥴🥴🥴👺👺

How come neil prakash be islamic state militant , he sounds totally hindu by name Take away his passport and deport him from Victoria (and Australia) if he is found guily of the accused crime. The last thing Vic & OZ needs is more religious inspired violent criminals. 9NewsMelb Why did the government bring him back.We haven’t got the death penalty here. Send him back,he will only try and convert dumb young crooks.

The ISIS brides in NSW Fairfield are free walking around because they told albanese that they didn't know their husband was in ISIS and the father was told to be quiet about it & is now pretending he didn't know.Let this man go free as well he didn't know what he was doing too. Costing us more money 9NewsAdel Well done to the AFP and all involved for bringing this turd to justice. Except he should be put on Christmas Island and not leave

Alleged terrorist Neil Prakash extradited to Melbourne, charged with six offencesAlleged Islamic State fighter Neil Prakash is extradited to Melbourne under federal police escort and has been charged with six terrorism-related offences. Alleged? So he's a danger to the community and to our country. What is our justice system going to do. It's a pity this guy isn't being tried in the US. He would not be allowed out or even executed. But in Melbourne he will probably do less than 10. Watch Oh, now we seen the plan. Australia takes back a number of IS brides, for the agreed release of Assange. Wait and see.

I don't like that he without clothing and shoes Yep then ship him back to where he came from.Tbats what is ment to happen.Seem to only deport NZ , life Thanks Labor. You have so much empathy. Why the police officers and the suspect can not show their face? Can someone please explain? The Victorian Government will issue an apology for his treatment and make an offer of compensation within the week

Alleged IS terrorist Neil Prakash charged with six offencesAccused Islamic State terrorist Neil Prakash has refused to appear in a Melbourne court after being charged with multiple offences carrying a life sentence if proved.

Australian-born accused terrorist Neil Prakash faces Darwin courtNeil Prakash, 31, could face a life sentence if found guilty.

Ambulance Victoria calls code red as emergency calls surge in Melbourne overnightOff-duty paramedics are called in to deal with a surge in calls around midnight. Ambulance Victoria says 140 staff are currently furloughed because of COVID-19. The people voted, getting an ambulance is not important but sponsoring a netball team is what the people want. Voting for Dan has consequences. It’s what Victorians wanted 👍

Neil didn't know he was breathing in asbestos at work — it ended up killing himAs WorkSafe Victoria punishes more businesses for mismanaging asbestos, the family of a man who died from mesothelioma is calling for employers to 'do the right thing'.

How the ‘destructive rivalry’ between Victoria and NSW is hurting horse welfareInternecine warfare within racing’s peak governing body is blocking meaningful progress on national reform to prevent cruel treatment and mass slaughter of retired race horses, the authors of a report on equine welfare have warned. The irony of PVL. You just have to watch the coverage of SkyRacingAU on a Saturday to see who gets the preferential treatment. NSW picnic meetings with $8000 to winner get Sky 1 broadcast. Vic 2nd tier not so fortunate. Most NSW meetings run late but can never be moved to Sky 2. Just ban it, there’s no positive outcomes for the horses anyway