Famous threat against Holden before company’s shock exit

  • 📰 newscomauHQ
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 69 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 31%
  • Publisher: 77%

Australia Headlines News

Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines

The beloved car brand’s days are now numbered – but a politician’s furious 2013 threat might have ultimately sealed its fate.

But as the reasons behind the dramatic withdrawal are being analysed and dissected across the country, one six-word threat made seven years ago has come back to haunt car lovers – and the Government.following a frustrating back and forth over government subsidies to the carmaker.At the time, the local car-manufacturing sector was grappling with the high Aussie dollar and rising production costs when the Coalition government refused to boost its subsidy to the industry.

The Abbott government wanted to slash the subsidy by $1.63 billion to $1.02 billion, and Holden was playing coy about its commitment to Australia and Australian manufacturing. That’s when a clearly irritated Mr Hockey urged the company to “come clean” over rumoured plans to shut down in Australia and notoriously daring the auto giant to leave.“Because if I was running a business and I was committed to that business in Australia, I wouldn’t be saying that I haven’t made any decision about its future.

Of course, the company limped on until 2017 when it pulled out of Australian manufacturing before announcing late last year it would stop selling its most iconic car, the Commodore.Treasurer Joe Hockey and acting PM Warren Truss call on Holden to 'come clean' about whether the company will close in Australia.HOLDEN ‘CHASED OUT’

After Holden revealed it would end Aussie manufacturing and close its Adelaide plant in 2017, former South Australian premier Jay Weatherill placed the blame firmly on the Coalition’s shoulders, claiming it had “chased out” the brand., Mr Weatherill said he was present at a meeting where Holden made an offer to remain in the country that the Coalition “ignored”.Source:News Limited“There’s about 19 countries in the world that make cars. If you want a car industry, they are the rules of the game.

 

Thank you for your comment. Your comment will be published after being reviewed.
Please try again later.

High cost of energy and high cost of labour drove this decision, not the ramblings of a pollie who has been out of office for years.

Joe Hockey was not responsible for Holden withdrawing from Australian, ..Holden also announced they were withdrawing from New Zealand too.

governments stupid enough to hand over billions of our money with no commitments to long term future and if they do pack up, like they have, then they must repay the money. Dumb politicians. auspol

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

 /  🏆 9. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Axing of Holden is 'a day of great shame for Australia' | Sky News AustraliaSky News contributor Nicholas Reece says “I think it’s a day of great shame for Australia,” following Monday’s announcement General Motors will axe iconic brand Holden after 72 years of operation in the nation. \n\nGM International Operations Senior Vice President Julian Blissett released a statement explaining financial woes have led to the demise of Holden.\n\nThe shutdown is expected to cost at least 600 jobs as General Motors ceases making vehicles suitable for Australian roads. \n\nIt comes three years after local manufacturing ended when the Holden plant in Adelaide was closed. \n\n'It’s not just the end of a great Australian business but it’s the end of an era I think,' Mr Reece told Sky News host Peta Credlin. \n\nImage: Getty It was sad but inevitable. Ford wouldve gone the same way had it not come up with the ranger and fleet deals with the mondeo and fiesta/focus Thanks Joe! All Holden had to do was make a Car the us Aussies wanted to buy. Every business lives and dies by its bottom line. I liked the fact we tried to bale them out over many years. But the truth always catches up. GM never gave a shit about Australia. AND I just bought one, :(
Source: SkyNewsAust - 🏆 7. / 78 Read more »

'Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars': Some of the cars that made HoldenSince they were first made in Australia in 1948, Holden cars have been a familiar site on roads and racetracks across the country, creating memories of summer holidays, first cars and first dates. Because of all the wankers in their entry level BMW’s and Merc’s. Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolet was the original
Source: abcnews - 🏆 5. / 83 Read more »

Holden closing down: How your ancient Holden could now be worth a fortuneIs your dad&x27;s uncle&x27;s grandmother&x27;s Kingswood now a collectors item? It depends. RIP 🙏♥️ Should have kept my VT SS if i had have known what i know now.... Turn the factory into a Musuem.
Source: 9NewsAUS - 🏆 10. / 72 Read more »

Holden to be axed from AustraliaApproximately 600 jobs will be lost after parent company General Motors made the decision to wind up the iconic brand. so... Holden will be Holly Done! 🤔 NOOOOOOOOOOO :( So very sad for this iconic brand
Source: 9NewsAUS - 🏆 10. / 72 Read more »

GM to scrap Holden brand in Australia and New ZealandBreaking General Motors has decided to retire the Holden brand in both Australia and New Zealand. Sad, but it stopped being that a while back now anyway. Thank LNP for that. Kim Carr and all the unionists involved TAKE A BOW 🤔...... 😒🖕🏻
Source: SBSNews - 🏆 3. / 89 Read more »

Holden killed by ‘highly fragmented right-hand-drive markets’ | Sky News AustraliaGeneral Motors has blamed “highly fragmented right-hand-drive markets” for the downfall of Holden which will cost hundreds of jobs.\n\nGM International Operations Senior Vice President Julian Blissett has released a statement explaining the financial woes leading to the demise of Holden.\n\n“Through its proud 160-year history, Holden has not only made cars, it has been a powerful driver of the industrialisation and advancement of Australia and New Zealand,” Mr Blissett. \n\n“Over recent years, as the industry underwent significant change globally and locally, we implemented a number of alternative strategies to try to sustain and improve the business, together with the local team.” \n\nGeneral Motors also said it undertook a “detailed analysis” of the investment required for Holden to be competitive.\n\n “After comprehensive assessment, we regret that we could not prioritise the investment required for Holden to be successful for the long term in Australia and New Zealand, over all other considerations we have globally,” Mr Blissett. \n\n“This decision is based on global priorities and does not reflect the hard work, talent and professionalism of the Holden team.” \n\nThe shutdown is expected to cost at least 600 jobs as General Motors ceases making vehicles suitable for Australian roads. \n\nIt comes three years after local manufacturing ended when the Holden plant in Adelaide was closed. \nGeneral Motors will no longer produce any right-hand vehicles after 72 years of business in Australia.\n They had no V8. That’s the reason no one bought that Eurotrash they forced on us. Wheres the PM and McCormack to protect the jobs. Surely they must care. Its all about protecting jobs. Jobs must be protected at all costs. Wait, Nope, not mining. Workers are on their own.
Source: SkyNewsAust - 🏆 7. / 78 Read more »